Wednesday 27 February 2013

Day 9 : Lie down in a busy place



It could be argued that this was not really a rejection challenge. I would argue it was. Have you ever tried doing anything that isn't socially acceptable? The look on people's faces alone is rejection.

Whether we know it or not, we are constrained by what is believed to be 'socially acceptable'. This isn't always a bad thing, however I do believe caring too much about what people think can stop us from taking risks, thinking outside the box and chasing our dreams.

I did this challenge with the intention of eradicating my fear of what people think. Who cares what people think (to an extent). After-all, the likelihood I will ever see any those passengers that walked by me on the platform at Waterloo station today is slim and even if I do, so what?! They probably just thought, 'he must be tired'.

I found it to be wonderfully liberating. I recommend you pluck up the courage and give this one a go yourself. It will shock you how liberating it actually is. I'm learning, the harder the challenge the greater the sense of achievement and the freer you feel.

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

4 comments:

  1. hey :) i think this is a brave project and always think its great to dare to leave your comfort zone! Just wondered though do you think the fact that there was a camera on you and you knew you were going to put it on youtube and get a response from it make it more comfortable for you than had you not had a camera on you? (because sometimes filming something weird can make it seem more purposeful and therefore more socially acceptable)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't anyone ask if you were ok?

    ReplyDelete